Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Yearning for the summer

It's been snowing here every couple of days lately, bringing several inches each time.  In the midst of the snow and the inundation of root vegetables, I find myself yearning for the summer and its vegetables. 
In addition to the regular CSA share, I order the extra "tomato lover's" box that comes for six weeks during the height of tomato season and I have a garden in our yard.  For the past two years, I've just grown tomatoes and tomatillos in it, with a focus on plum tomatoes for sauce.

Funny to think of how I can get just as sick of tomatoes then as I am of root vegetables now. 

I spend lots of time for many weeks putting up tomatoes for the winter, as sauce and dried.  I roast the tomatoes to make sauce.  (No recipe now, as it would be cruel to all of us.)



And, of course, we eat lots of them fresh.


Missing those days now!

No comments:

Post a Comment