Saturday, November 22, 2014

Roasted Brussels sprouts over pasta with ricotta

This season, we've received more Brussels sprouts in the weekly boxes than in prior years. It's been a good thing, as I've been enjoying them. Mostly, I've been roasting them in a 400 degree oven for about 35 minutes. 

Here are the prepped Brussels sprouts. I trim off the ends, then wash them. I put any loose leaves directly into the pan, and cut the sprouts in half. I also add a sliced onion. Then I coat them with olive oil, salt and pepper and put them into the oven.
 I stirred at 10 minutes:
 And again at 20 minutes:
Checked and stirred again at 30 minutes:
And, finally, took them out at 35 minutes. The loose leaves will get crispy. You might want to sample them during the 20 and 30 minute stirrings.
Husband had his as a side dish for some beef ribs. I decided to put them over some pasta (which I started cooking a few minutes after the 20 minute stir). I put the roasted sprouts and onions over the pasta, then drizzled with a bit of good olive oil.
But something was missing....

The dish was ready after the addition of a scoop of fresh ricotta.
I'd definitely recommend this dish. It's a bit of a pierogi mashup -- with the pasta standing in for the dough, the sprouts and onions for the cabbage and sauerkraut, and the ricotta for the cheese (typically farmer's cheese, but my family makes them with a mix of ricotta and potato).

No comments:

Post a Comment