Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Salad bar: Beets, panzanella, and pomegranates

Some of the salads I made over the past couple of weeks:

A beet and clementine salad, with feta and walnuts, dressed with peach balsamic and olive oil.

I left out a half baguette by mistake, so turned the stale bread into panzanella. I roasted some escarole to chop into the salad. Not traditional, but I thought it worked well. Dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

I made "Oregon salad", but substituted pomegranate seeds for the hazelnuts. The colors were quite intense before the salad was dressed.

Finally, a composed salad of spinach (from the winter market at Russell's), yellow beets, blood orange, goat's milk feta, and pepitas. I dressed the salad with peach balsamic, olive oil, and a grind of fresh black pepper.

2 comments:

  1. How are the beets prepared in the first salad? Looks excellent, and I even have the peach balsamic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the winter, I roast beets in the oven, around 350-400 degrees (often depends upon what else is in the oven), until tender, usually 40 minutes to an hour, depending upon the size of the beets and the temperature of the oven. I peel my beets before roasting with a paring knife. I know you're supposed to be able to roast with the skins on, then rub off the skins after roasting, but I find it easier to just peel them before roasting. (Now grilling is another matter: grill without peeling.) Roast in a sealed aluminum foil packet or in a covered casserole dish.

    If you want the beets to be room or fridge temp in your salad, roast them the night before (or morning you want the salad at night). Roasted beets will last for several days in the fridge. I'll often make extras for salads in later days.

    ReplyDelete