Friday, March 28, 2014

Oregon salad

A few years ago, I flew through the Portland airport.  Elephants Delicatessen had a small store there, from which I bought a wrap that included kale, red cabbage, apples, and grapes, with a really great, sweet dressing.  This salad is based upon that wrap.  Given that I bought the wrap in Portland, I call this Oregon salad.  It has nothing to do with Oregon beyond that.  It is a good way to use some red cabbage in a tasty salad.  When we got kale in the box this week, and I had part of a head of red cabbage still in the fridge, I had to make the salad.

Back then, I emailed to ask for the dressing recipe.  While they wouldn't share the recipe, they did send me the list of ingredients: mustard, carrots, tamari, agave, tahini, cider vinegar and canola oil.  I usually mix together some dijon mustard, tahini, white miso, cider vinegar, and tamari.  Sometimes I add a bit of olive oil, sometimes a bit of water.  It's different every time.  This time I decided to measure things out, so that I could give some ideas of the quantity in this post.  I'll likely go back to mixing quantities to taste again.
Dressing for Oregon salad:
3 T tahini
1 T tamari
2 T cider vinegar
1 T white miso
1 t dijon mustard
1 T water (or olive oil, if you'd prefer)
Whisk together all of the ingredients.  Adjust as desired to your taste.


Salad ingredients (add in your desired amounts):
Thinly sliced red cabbage
Chopped kale
An apple, cut into chunks
Green grapes, cut in half
Toasted hazelnuts
Put all of the ingredients and the dressing in a bowl.  Toss thoroughly.
 Enjoy.  Leftovers keep well for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment