Saturday, March 28, 2015

Salad bar: the best cole slaw ever, kitchen-sink salad, and arugula with watermelon radish and burrata

I call this first salad "the best cole slaw ever." I cut a peeled kohlrabi into matchsticks, a watermelon radish into thin wedges, some red cabbage into thin slices, and an apple (skin still on) into small slices. The dressing was made from 3/4 cup of mayo, 1/4 cup of vinegar, and 2 Tbsp of sugar, whisked together. I seasoned the slaw with celery seeds, salt and pepper.
We had it with scallops and fish, and it was excellent. I had some leftover, to which I added some walnuts to have for lunch the next day. I think this slaw was the best ever because of the variety of flavors from the fresh ingredients (all from the farm boxes), instead of being mostly cabbage.

I call this second salad "the kitchen-sink salad" because I put in everything but. It had mixed greens, watermelon radishes, hearts of palm (to use a can that's been sitting in my pantry for a while), marinated mushrooms (to use some leftovers from the fridge), pepitas, and some tomato. I dressed it simply with olive oil, salt and pepper.

Finally, a salad with baby arugula, thin wedges of watermelon radish, and some chopped burrata, dressed with olive oil and salt. I loved this salad; husband was okay with it but didn't love it as much as I did.

Perhaps I should have titled this post, "Using the watermelon radishes," as each of the salad had them. I still have many bags of watermelon radishes in the fridge to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment