Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Using the butternut squash: Butternut squash with Israeli couscous and feta

I had a box of Israeli couscous, a gift from a friend (each year for Christmas, she gives me a bag of her favorite items from Trader Joe's). I decided to use it with some butternut squash.

I roasted a butternut squash with slices of sweet onion in a 400 degree oven for about 50 minutes.
The squash was very soft, but I wanted the onions to cook more.
As per the instructions on the box, I toasted the couscous for 5 minutes before adding liquid.
I used butternut squash stock to cook the couscous instead of water. Once cooked, I added the couscous to the roasted butternut squash and onions in a large bowl...
...then mixed them together.
I added some feta cubes too.
It was good warm (right after it was done), at room temperature (because husband's meat was not yet ready), and cold (as leftovers).

It could have used a bit more texture, as everything was soft, perhaps with the addition of some toasted almonds, hazelnuts, or pepitas. Dried cranberries would also go well with the mix, with or without the nuts.

No comments:

Post a Comment