Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Fresh tomato sauce with onions and red peppers

During tomato season, I like to make a fresh tomato sauce for pasta. I've seen some recipes that call for just mixing chopped tomatoes into pasta, but I prefer to cook the tomatoes to make them more sauce-like.

I started with onion slices, which I sauté in olive oil for about 5 minutes on their own at a medium-low heat.
Then I added some thinly sliced red pepper and sautéed for another 5 minutes.
While the onions and peppers are cooking, chop your tomatoes. I used plum tomatoes, mostly red. I had a yellow plum tomato that was turning, so I used it as well.
Add the tomatoes and simmer at a low heat for at least 10-15 minutes. If you're in a rush, cook your pasta now. If you have time, wait for a bit.
I had the time to wait. After cooking the tomatoes on the center burner for about 20 minutes, I moved them off to a side burner on the lowest heat and covered the pan, to let them simmer longer.
Once your pasta is cooked, add it to the pan. Cook the pasta in the sauce for a minute.
Ready to serve...
...with some cheese, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment