Friday, September 5, 2014

What's in the box, 9/4/14 edition

Two boxes again this week: the supplemental tomato share...
...and the regular half bushel box.
This week's box had carrots, red oak leaf lettuce, fennel, lots of cucumbers, two tomatoes, arugula, rainbow chard, garlic, and two yellow (?) bell peppers. The farm newsletter said that the peppers should be red, but these definitely seem yellow, not yellow on the way to red.

Several cucumbers were quite large. I plan to make quick pickles of them.

We also grilled on Thursday night. I had to take a photo of the beets, as they were very pretty.
Post-grilling. On this plate of grilled vegetables are red peppers, eggplant, broccoli, onion, cucumbers , and tomatillos. I have not grilled tomatillos before. While raw tomatillos have a citrus-like taste, similar to lime, the grilled tomatillos became very fruity, almost melon-like. I don't think I'd grill them again to eat on their own, but grilled tomatillos might work for some recipe; I just don't know what at this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment