Monday, September 29, 2014

Tomatillo and peach salsa

My garden was a complete failure this year. A mix of weeds, lack of time, and a woodchuck contributed. However, my compost bins were quite productive. We had a huge vine grow in one of our compost bins, resulting in all of the decorative gourds you see below.

On the right of the photo are several tomatillos. While the garden didn't produce any tomatoes, the tomatillos that seed themselves every year did grow well in the weed patch. I never planted tomatillos; they came from compost after I got some in my Land's Sake CSA many years ago.

Finally, there's a lone plum tomato in the photo. A tomato plant grew out the side of our other compost bin, the only tomato plant that produced this year.
I used this batch of tomatillos in a salsa, mixing together a chopped peach, the chopped tomatillos, some chopped cilantro, the juice of half of a lime, salt, and a small bit of olive oil.
We used it with some fried plantains...
...and some scallops.
Husband had his on fish, but I don't have a photo of that.

I made the salsa just 15 minutes before we were going to eat, as I didn't want it to get mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment