Monday, April 21, 2014

Mushroom and pea tendril quiche

I like to make quiche.  It's a particularly good way to use some of the veggies from the box as well as leftover bits of cheese.

Ingredients for 2 quiches:
2 pie crusts
1 large onion or 2 small ones
8 oz cremini mushrooms
1/4 lb pea tendrils
cheese (you pick the type and amount you'd like to use)
8 eggs
1 3/4 c milk
salt and pepper to taste
I buy frozen pie crusts.  I know, I should make my own.  But having these pre-made crusts in the freezer makes it very quick to make a quiche (or two -- we had lots of company coming).
Set the oven to 400 degrees.  While it's heating (and while you're baking the crusts for 8 minutes at 400, after poking holes in them with a fork), start cooking your quiche filling.  For these quiche, I used a mix of onions, mushrooms, and pea tendrils.

Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and add the onions.  Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the mushrooms.
Cook the mushrooms (another 5 minutes or so).
Add the pea tendrils.  After washing, I gave them a rough chop. 
They will wilt quickly, in a minute or two.
Turn off the heat on the pan.  By now, your pie crusts should be ready, after 8 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
Prepare your cheese; you can use feta, cheddar, Swiss, or other pieces that you'd like to use up.  In this case, I was using a "fresh Easter cheese" that I had bought at a local grocery store.  I had never heard of Easter cheese, so wanted to try it.  It wasn't very good, as it was very bland.  I figured it'd work in a quiche, as there would be lots of other things to help provide flavor to the cheese (i.e., I was treating it a bit like tofu).
Cut the cheese into cubes and add to the pie shells.  I grated some pepper over the cheese to season it.  I don't normally add pepper at this point, but, as I mentioned, the cheese was very bland.
Add your cooked veggies.
Mix together the eggs and milk, adding salt and pepper as well.  For these two quiches, I used 8 eggs and 1 3/4 cups of milk.  Pour the egg mixture into the pie shells.
Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes, then drop the temperature to 350 and continue to cook until the quiche is set (check the center with a butter knife) -- it took another 50 minutes for my quiche to set.  I'd suggest starting to check them at 30 minutes (meaning 40 minutes total of cooking).  When they are set, you'll also see them puff up a bit. 
Serve right from the oven or let them sit for a little while to cool a bit.  Leftovers are good cold for lunch or breakfast.

No comments:

Post a Comment