Monday, April 28, 2014

Parsnip gnocchi, take 2

As I mentioned in my original post for parsnip gnocchi, I froze some parsnip gnocchi (uncooked) for later use.  I put the frozen gnocchi into salted boiling water and cooked a minute or two past when they started floating.
I made a slightly different sauce this time.  Started with a thinly sliced onion, sauteed in about a tablespoon of butter.  Once the onion was translucent and started to brown a bit (too hungry to caramelize), I added sliced cremini mushrooms.  Once those were cooked down, I added a small amount of cream (had a bit left from a cake recipe) and added some grated pecorino romano.  When the gnocchi were finished, I cooked them for a minute in the sauce before plating.
I topped the dishes with some of the pepper cress from this week's box.

All in all, better the second time.  Not sure if something changed with the gnocchi after freezing (might have softened the parsnip a bit more) or if I boiled them a bit longer (or shorter) or if it was the sauce, but both the husband and I enjoyed the dish more this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment