Saturday, April 5, 2014

Thinking about purple top turnips

Given the number of accumulated purple top turnips in my fridge, I'm trying to find a way to cook them.

In the pre-blog days (in other words, no photos or records of how long things took to cook), I made a potato and turnip gratin (sans the gratin).  Starting from this recipe, I alternated layers of raw sliced potato with raw sliced turnip, salting and peppering occasionally as I layered.  Over it, I poured veggie broth in which I had cooked some rehydrated dried mushrooms (I didn't use any of the cheese, milk or greek yogurt in the original recipe), then I baked it covered in a 400 degree oven until soft (at least 30 minutes, but I can't remember how long it was).  I think I might have uncovered it at the end to brown the top a bit and let any extra broth steam off.  The turnip flavor disappeared, and the mushrooms gave the dish a really earthy feel.  I liked it, but the husband was not a huge fan.  He typically doesn't like gratins, but I thought the lack of cheese would improve it for him.  It did not.

I found this recipe for roasted turnips with shallots and garlic.  Since I also have many shallots, this recipe seems like a good one to try next.  The web says that roasting mellows the flavor of the turnip, which is the part I don't like very much, and I think the roasted garlic and shallots with it would be good.  Will let you know how it turns out when I try it.

2 comments:

  1. This one looks pretty good but I haven't tried it yet:
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Glazed-Turnips-104647

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me know how it comes out if you try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete