Friday, June 6, 2014

Broccoli leaf, green garlic and pistachio pesto

Last week, there was a bunch of broccoli leaves in the box. I decided to try to make pesto with the broccoli leaves, green garlic from the box, and pistachios.
I removed the stems and washed the leaves, then blanched the leaves for two minutes in boiling water. I thought that the taste might be too strong without the cooking.
After boiling for two minutes, I poured the leaves and water through a strainer, then ran cold water over the leaves to cool them down.  After letting them sit for a few minutes, I gave them a light squeeze and put them into the food processor with the green garlic (roughly chopped) and 1/4 cup of pistachios.
I added a drizzle of olive oil and about a 1/2 tsp of salt.
Then I blended in a 1/4 c of Pecorino Romano.  It was still a bit thick, so I thinned it with about a 1/2 c of the water that the pasta was cooking in.
Turned out delicious and has left me hoping that we see broccoli leaves in future boxes.
I'm thinking that I should try a kale pesto, as the farm's email had said that you could use broccoli leaves just as you'd use kale.  So does that mean I can use kale as I'd use broccoli leaves?

No comments:

Post a Comment