Thursday, June 19, 2014

What's in the fridge, 6/19/14 edition

I need to mark this momentous occasion: last night, I finished all of the winter's carrots that were stored in the fridge, making David Chang's carrots. As I also have parsnips to finish up, I cooked some parsnips in the carrot juice as well.
While the veggies were good, with the parsnips taking on some carrot flavor from the carrot juice, the soup that I made with the leftovers was not as good as when I just use carrots. The parsnips seem to give the soup a bit of a bitter aftertaste, which is odd, given how sweet the parsnips are.

So, what's left in the fridge?  I've been very good the past two weeks with finishing the box contents before the next box comes. With the carrots and parsnips, I made the spinach with almonds and raisins with the bag of spinach from last week's box, finishing the box contents.

Here's what's left:
4.3 pounds of parsnips.  That's it!  (Well, that's all from the CSA boxes that's in there. We do have other food in the fridge, of course.)  The veggie drawer is half empty, and there are no stacks of bagged veggies on the bottom shelf of the fridge.  

This week's box will be picked up later today, so the parsnips won't be lonely for long.

No comments:

Post a Comment