Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Quince jelly

The husband came home with three small quince recently. Together, the quince weighed just a quarter of a pound. I decided to make quince jelly, adapting this recipe for the small amount that I had.
I cut the quince in small pieces, using everything but the seeds.
Then covered them with some water.
Brought it to a boil, then back to a simmer, cooking for about 15-20 minutes.
Then strained off the liquid. I let it sit for over an hour to fully drain.
I had 2/3 cup of liquid, to which I added just over 1/2 cup of sugar. I brought it to a boil, then cooked it for about 7 minutes. If there were more of the mixture, it probably would have taken longer.
Then I put it in a jar. Here's a photo before I capped it. 
I didn't bother processing the jar in boiling water. There wasn't enough to do it, plus it was such a small amount that it will be eaten soon.

2 comments:

  1. Where/why did the husband get quince?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suburban foraging on public land. Found quince bushes many years ago. Some years we find fruit; other years we don't. Guessing others are having a similar experience with the same bushes.

    ReplyDelete