Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Japanese Slaw

In my quest to use cabbage, I searched for a recipe for cole slaw.  I don't really like versions of cole slaw with lots of mayonnaise, so I was happy to find this recipe for Japanese Slaw with Daikon Radish.  Rather than mayo, it uses a dressing made from rice vinegar, sesame oil, honey, and olive oil.

I modified the recipe to use only red cabbage, partly because I didn't have any green cabbage.  However, I think it's fine with a single type of cabbage.  Around here, little bits of cabbage are okay, but anything too centered on cabbage is not going to be a hit.

Gather your veggies: a red cabbage, daikon radish and some carrots.
While I've been a bit down on cabbages in my posts, it is a really beautiful vegetable.
Thinly slice two cups of red cabbage.
Peel the carrots and daikon radish, then shred using the large holes on a box grater.  You're aiming for 2 cups of carrot and 1-2 cups of daikon.  (I like extra daikon.)  You don't need to be exact with the measurements for any of the vegetables though -- mix to your liking and according to your veggie availability.
Put the shreds of cabbage, carrot and daikon into a bowl.  I usually go right into the serving bowl.

Prepare your dressing.

1/4 cup rice vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/4 cup sesame oil
3 tablespoons olive oil (the recipe called for canola oil, but I decided to use olive oil instead)

Put it into a jar and shake.  If you'll be making the slaw often, you can double the recipe and keep the extra dressing in a jar for the next time.  I did this and the dressing was fine over a week later.
Pour the dressing over the veggies and stir.  Cover and refrigerate until use.
Leftovers of the slaw have held up well for a couple of days.  Everything stays crunchy, although the daikon does get a purple hue from the red cabbage after mingling for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment