Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Nectarine and blueberry tart

Years ago, I cut out this recipe for a rustic raspberry tart from a magazine (just found it online now for this post). I wanted to try to make a pie crust, as a failure from many years ago has kept me from making crust, and a rustic tart seemed like a forgiving first try.

I didn't have raspberries in the house, but I did have some ripe nectarines and blueberries.

First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.

I used two nectarines and about a cup of blueberries, chopping the nectarines into chunks. Slices of nectarine could be pretty if you want to take the time to arrange them. I didn't.
I added two tablespoons of sugar, two teaspoons of cornstarch and a sprinkle of cinnamon. (The recipe called for three tablespoons of sugar, but it was for a raspberry tart, so I figured I could cut down on the sugar.)
 Then I stirred it together.
On to the dough. Start by pulsing 1 cup of flour and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor.  Then add 6 tablespoons of butter and pulse until lightly cut into the flour. Add an egg yolk (save the white for later), start the food processor, then add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until the dough forms a ball.  I needed to add 3 tablespoons.
 The recipe suggests rolling the dough between two floured sheets of plastic wrap.
Once rolled, transfer the dough to a sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet. I know that the result is not round. The plastic wrap limited me a bit. (That's the reason, really. It's not that I can't make a round shape with a rolling pin.)
 Add the fruit, then fold in the edges.
Once all of the edges are folded in, brush the pastry with egg white and sprinkle with sugar.
The recipe says to bake for 25-30 minutes.
I let mine bake for 35 minutes to brown more.
Bakery worthy. Pretty easy too. Let me know if you come up with good fruit combinations.

1 comment:

  1. The galette! I recently discovered this too, though I've been making the savory ones from smitten kitchen (squash with sage and caramelized onion is our favorite, with tomato/corn/zucchini and zucchini/ricotta tied for second place). Yours looks much prettier than mine turn out. Maybe I'll try a sweet one this weekend.

    ReplyDelete