Thursday, July 24, 2014

What's in the box, 7/24/14 edition

It seems that I'm going to continue to wait for zucchini, both from the CSA box and from my garden.
In today's box: freshly dug potatoes, scallions, a huge cabbage, a head of green lettuce, a head of red lettuce, a bunch of Swiss chard, and a bunch of basil.

The cabbage is destined for a cole slaw for a family party in a week and a half.

The potatoes will likely be roasted in the oven, then smashed with the bottom of a cup, painted with olive oil, sprinkled with salt and pepper, and baked until crisp (flipping them to crisp both sides). I'm also going to try putting a few of the very small ones on the grill tonight to see how they turn out. I think smaller ones might be able to grill without foil, to get a bit of char while cooking through, but not nearly as much as char as you'd get on a larger potato.

I need to find something to do with the chard other than make a quiche. Chard pesto?

The basil has gone in a vase on the counter, joining last week's basil bunch. I just finished the bunch of basil from two weeks ago last night.
It's funny how I've been making almost every other green leaf into pesto, but basil pesto isn't calling out to me right now. It's too bad that all of this basil isn't aligning well with tomato season.

No comments:

Post a Comment