Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Rhubarb and strawberry compote

One of the recent boxes had a bunch of rhubarb in it.  
When I was young, we'd eat it raw, dipping the end into a bowl of sugar.  I think we were mostly eating the sugar.  Now that I'm older, I prefer to eat it cooked, with a bit less sugar.

Wash and chop the rhubarb.  I had about 4 cups.  Add 1/2 cup of sugar and a couple of tablespoons of water.  Cook over medium to low heat, stirring frequently, until they start to soften.
I then added one pound of chopped fresh strawberries and cooked for another five minutes or so.
Here's what it looked like after cooking.  You should taste it at this point, as you might want to add a bit more sugar.  It was on the tart side, but I decided not to add sugar, as the ice cream would be a sweet addition.
Let cool (it can still be warm, but not piping hot) and serve with vanilla ice cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment