Friday, May 2, 2014

Turnip cakes

I have finally discovered a way to cook purple top turnips so that both of us enjoy them!  At the suggestion of my sister-in-law, I tried the daikon cake recipe, substituting grated turnip for the grated daikon radish.
I let the salted, grated turnip sit in the fridge for a few hours, instead of the minimum half hour suggested in the recipe, as I've found turnips to have a high water content.  I also squeezed out as much water as I could before mixing the grated turnip with the other ingredients.

The result:
They were delicious.  Husband commented that the turnip tasted more radish-like than the daikon radish had.

I'm happy to find a way to cook purple top turnips that we both enjoy, although I'm continuing the search, as we don't want to eat fried foods all that often and we have accumulated many purple top turnips over the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment