Friday, October 10, 2014

Freezing herbs for the winter

When there are large bunches of herbs in a week's box, it can be hard to use all of the herbs before they start to get slimy. Instead of letting them go to waste, I freeze the extra for the winter.

In this case, I had a large bunch of cilantro.
I washed it and put it into the salad spinner, then removed the leaves to put into the food processor.
Here's the pile of stems. I didn't use them, but liked the photo.
Pour a little water into the food processor and grind up the herbs. Spoon them into a small ice cube tray. Then pour water over the herbs, which will allow them to be frozen into ice cubes. (There's very little water in the end; it won't be noticeable when you use the cubes in recipes.)
Cover the tray with plastic wrap and freeze, at least overnight. 

After freezing, remove the plastic wrap (I ended up with a light layer of ice on the plastic wrap, which makes the photo below look a bit odd).
Pop out the ice cubes. I was a bit disappointed, as it wasn't as easy to pop these out as I had expected with my new ice cube tray. That said, the tray did clean up much more easily than my old mini ice cube tray (which was cracked earlier this summer).
Put the cubes into a bag for the freezer. Label the cubes. If you don't, you'll never be able to tell the difference between frozen cilantro and other herbs like dill. Trust me on this one. (My labels fell off last year.)
I'll be doing the same over the weekend with the bunch of dill from this week's box.

No comments:

Post a Comment