Monday, October 6, 2014

Roasted veggies: cauliflower, potatoes, and carrots with fennel and apples

The other night, we roasted lots of vegetables: a head of orange cauliflower, some potatoes (made using the Hasselback potato recipe I posted last week), and a melange of carrots, fennel and apples.

I prepared the cauliflower by taking off the leaves, washing it, and trimming the stem. Then I brushed it with olive oil and seasoned it with salt and some hot pepper flakes.
I also chopped up two apples, some carrots, and two fennel bulbs.
Then mixed them with olive oil, salt, pepper, and chopped rosemary.
Since the Hasselback potatoes cook at 425, I cooked everything at that temperature.
The potatoes need attention at 30 minutes and 60 minutes, then are done at 70 minutes. I checked the other veggies at those intervals as well. I stirred the apples, carrots, and fennel at 30 minutes as well, then pulled it from the oven around an hour. If I were making it again, I'd cook it at a lower temperature, or I'd add the apples later in the cooking time. The sugar from the apples burned on the bottom of the pan in areas where there were fewer veggies, but they still turned out fine.
Here's the roasted cauliflower.
I served the potatoes and cauliflower with non-fat greek yogurt to which I had added chopped chives, salt and pepper.

The roasted cauliflower was good cold as leftovers. I had never roasted a whole head of cauliflower before. I would definitely do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment