Friday, October 24, 2014

Pickled grapes

Husband sent a link to this article from the Awl on different ways to use grapes. We decided to try pickling some of the grapes from our backyard, as there are still some out there, even after all of the grape jelly was made.

Some of the grapes, artfully arranged on the counter.
I debated whether to seed the grapes or not. In the end, laziness won out. After washing, I plucked the grapes off their stems and put them into a one pint canning jar.
The recipe calls for a 4:2:1 ratio of cider vinegar to water to brown sugar, as well as a pinch of salt. I used 2/3 cup of cider vinegar, 1/3 cup of water, and 1/6 cup (which is 2 2/3 Tbsp or 8 tsp) of brown sugar.
Bring to a boil to dissolve the sugar. Add spices if you'd like. I put in a couple of small pieces of nutmeg that I couldn't grate anymore on my microplane as well as a small piece of a cinnamon stick.
Pour the liquid over the grapes.
We let them pickle for a couple of days before trying them. They are good, but the seeds are in the way (at least for me). Husband has used them as an accompaniment to pork ribs that were cooked with a maple rub. The article suggests using them on a cheese tray. I think you'd want to use seedless grapes or take the time to seed your grapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment