Thursday, October 9, 2014

What's in the box, 10/9/14 edition

It's been warm this fall, so there are still lots of leafy greens in the box.
This week, the box contains dill, kale, red oak leaf lettuce, romaine lettuce, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, watermelon radishes, onions, and three types of beans.

The kale will likely end up as kale pesto again (yes, I'm in a bit of a rut with my kale usage). I might reserve a leaf or two to make the Oregon salad, as I have part of a head of red cabbage in my fridge from a prior week.

Some of the beans will be eaten raw as snacks. Some will be put on salads, raw and chopped. I will have to do something with some of them beyond that as well, as there was a full gallon bag of beans in the box. I have been thinking about making some Momofuku vinegar pickles with a few hakurei turnips I have left from last week's box and some carrots; I could add some beans to the mix as well.

I'd like to try roasting the broccoli in the oven, in the same manner that I roasted the head of cauliflower.

As for the dill, I'm thinking about making some egg salad with lots of dill. I'll have plenty left over, which will allow me to freeze some for use in the winter. I made cilantro cubes earlier this week; haven't had time to put up a post about that yet, but will soon. I used the ice cube tray that I posted about over the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment