Saturday, October 25, 2014

Salad bar: Beans, endive, and beets

We've had some different mixes of veggies in our salads recently.

This salad combined mesclun, scarlet queen turnips, raw beans, pepitas, and feta. I dressed it with a mix of dijon mustard, olive oil, and white wine vinegar.

For the endive we received in a recent box, I decided to roast it, as I had done recently with a head of radicchio. I washed the endive and cut it into quarters. I brushed both sides with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.
I roasted it for 8 minutes on each side in a 400 degree oven.
Then I chopped it up and added roasted beets and pepitas. (The beets had been roasted the day before and were cold.) I finished it off with a drizzle of peach balsamic vinegar. (There was already enough oil on the endive from roasting.)
It would have been good with cheese too, but I went without on this one.

Here's another salad. This one had green oak leaf lettuce, radishes, a few tomatoes from my mom's garden, pepitas, and cured olives. I served it with ranch dressing (store bought).

I also made Momofuku vinegar pickles again. I had beans (yellow, green, and dragon), hakurei turnips, and carrots in the jars.
I split the veggies into two pint jars. I then put hot pepper flakes in one jar and coriander seeds in the other.
Both turned out well. Oddly, pickling took the purple color out of the dragon beans.

No comments:

Post a Comment