Thursday, October 9, 2014

Refrigerator pickles

This post is coming a bit too late for the summer season, but I did just make some pickles last week with a large bag of cucumbers from my mom's garden.

You'll need cucumbers (they can be overgrown, as the pickling liquid will take away any bitterness), seasoned rice vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, and dill (I prefer fresh, but dried also works).

Wash and slice the cucumbers.
Layer them in a container, adding salt, pepper and dill between the layers.
Here's the container full of sliced cucumbers.
Make your pickling liquid. (This step can also be done before you slice the cucumbers.) Mix equal parts of rice vinegar and sugar in a saucepan. Depending upon the number of cucumbers I have, I usually use 1/2-1 cup of each.
Boil until the sugar dissolves, then turn off the heat.
Pour the liquid over the cucumbers and refrigerate. Don't worry if they're not completely covered, as the cucumbers will give off water and shrink down.
I usually shake the container after a few hours, when there's more liquid, to make sure that everything is covered.
The pickles are ready in 12 hours, but better after a full 24.

No comments:

Post a Comment