Sunday, October 26, 2014

Stuffed acorn squash

A few weeks ago, there was an acorn squash in the box. I decided to try making a stuffed acorn squash. I set the over to 400 degrees, then cut open the squash.
I took out the seeds and put the halves on a baking sheet covered with foil. I then brushed each half with olive oil and seasoned with salt and pepper.
I put the squash into the oven to roast while I made the filling. I also roasted endive and broccoli at the same time.
For the filling, I first sautéed a shallot in olive oil, then added some chopped sage to cook for a minute. At the same time, I was boiling some mushroom orzo. (Other grains would work well, I think. You could try couscous, plain orzo, quinoa, rice, etc.)
Once the orzo was done, I mixed it with the sage and shallots.
I had a piece of wensleydale with cranberries leftover from a party.
I chopped it into small pieces and added it to the filling.
By now, the squash halves had been roasting for about a half hour. I took them out to add the filling.
Then roasted them for another half hour or so, until the squash was tender.
The filling developed a nice crunch on top. The whole dish turned out well.
I had thought about mixing in some nuts as well, which I think would have been good too. Overall, I think you could try many combinations. I'd have an onion, leek, scallion, or shallot base, then add some herbs. Use whatever grain you have. Add some dried fruit and/or nuts. And you know what I think about adding cheese. If you come up with good combinations, please leave them in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment