Saturday, October 11, 2014

Fried green tomatoes and crockpot grits

I first made fried green tomatoes last year, using this recipe from Southern Living. We received a couple of green tomatoes in a recent box, so I made them again this year. You'll see from the photo below that one of the green tomatoes started to turn yellow before I made them.
For the breading station, you'll need

  • 1/4 cup flour in one bowl, 
  • 1 egg and 1/2 cup milk (the recipe called for buttermilk, but milk worked fine) blended together in another, and 
  • 1/4 cup flour, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper in a third.

Dredge each tomato slice in the flour, then the egg and milk mixture, then the cornmeal mixture.
Fry in batches in vegetable oil. The recipe says to cook them for two minutes on each side.
After both sides have been fried, drain them on paper towels. I flipped them to the other side after a minute or two to drain both sides.
Season with salt and serve. The sliced that had started to ripen were a bit mushy, but still good. The green slices were definitely better though.

Given that fried green tomatoes from the south, I served them with grits. I had some stoneground grits in the freezer, but I didn't want to spend an hour stirring them constantly. A web search turned up this recipe for grits cooked in a crockpotAnother recipe included cream as well. I didn't have cooking spray, so I put a light coating of olive oil on the crockpot. I finished off the grits with a tablespoon of butter and a bit of cream.

The grits turned out pretty well, especially given that they did not require over an hour of hands on time. The crockpot did need to be soaked overnight and into the next day for clean up though.

No comments:

Post a Comment