Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Gazpacho

I don't use a recipe to make gazpacho. I start with some mix of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, onions/scallions, and sometimes radishes, depending upon what I have in the house.
I was planning to use my new blender, so I left the skin on the cucumber. I also used the white part of four scallions.
The blender was a bit overstuffed.
I also added a bit of olive oil (probably 1-2 tablespoons), balsamic vinegar (also 1-2 tablespoons), and salt. You could use lime juice in place of the balsamic vinegar, but make sure to add acidity in some form. Taste the soup as you're adding the salt and acidity to get the right levels.
The difference between the food processor and the new blender is that the blender made the gazpacho much smoother than the food processor ever did. I decided to add some texture to the gazpacho by adding raw corn kernels. I bought three ears of corn, shucked them, cut off the kernels, and added them to the gazpacho.
The gazpacho turned out well, but not as red as other times. Three green peppers and the cucumber skin, as well as the dark balsamic vinegar, gave it a darker tone. Still tasted good. If you want redder gazpacho, cut back on the green pepper and skin your cucumber.
Some recipes call for the addition of tomato juice, which would make it more red, but I prefer to use all fresh vegetables in my gazpacho.

The gazpacho will last for a few days in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment