Monday, August 4, 2014

Pasta with beet greens and mushrooms

I had some beet greens saved from beets that we got in the box, which I wanted to try in a pasta dish. I bought some mushrooms, as they seemed like a good accompaniment.

I decided to poke around to see what people on the internet had done with beet greens and mushrooms before, and found this recipe for pasta with beet greens, herbs, and mushrooms on the Canadian Food Network, which I didn't follow while cooking, but which definitely inspired what I cooked.

Start a pot of salted water for your pasta.

Here are the mushrooms that I bought. (I saved the trimmings in a container in the freezer for broth.)
The beet greens, washed and chopped.
Sauté an onion for 5 minutes.
Then add the chopped mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes. Your pasta should go in the boiling water about now.
Add some hot pepper flakes. After adding, I thought, "Wow, that was a lot of hot pepper." You might want to use less.
After letting the hot pepper cook for a minute or two, add the beet greens.
Pour a little balsamic vinegar over them and cook until wilted.
As the balsamic vinegar evaporated, I added pasta water to the veggies to make some sauce for the pasta.
Stir in the pasta and cook for a minute.
Serve.
And yes, I did add too much hot pepper. While I like to top my pasta with cheese, I had to use extra to make the pasta seem less hot.

Overall, a good recipe, provided you have a lighter hand with the hot pepper flakes than I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment