Saturday, August 9, 2014

Pizza

I got this recipe from pizza dough from my sister-in-law a long time ago (1998, if you believe the date on the printer cover page that the recipe was written on as scrap paper). I don't know its origins beyond that. It's an easy dough recipe.

Pizza dough
Makes one pizza

1/2 - 3/4 c warm water (105-115 degrees)
1 T dry yeast
1 t sugar
2 c flour
1 T olive oil
1/2 t salt

Put 1/4 c water, yeast, and sugar in a glass, mug or bowl (it's going to grow, so I tend to use a bowl instead of a mug). Let it stand for 5-10 minutes.

In a food processor, pulse the flour, oil and salt for 5 seconds, then pour in the yeast mixture. Mix for 10 seconds. Slowly add water while mixing until a ball is formed. Once the dough is in a ball, let it go around for 25 times.

I usually let the dough sit for an hour before using, but the recipe doesn't call for that.

Spread out the dough and top it.  Bake the pizza at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until the crust is done. It might take less time if you're using a pizza stone or depending upon your oven.

We usually make two pizzas (one veggie, one meat) so I make two batches of dough.
This time, we used a roasted red pepper and eggplant spread from Trader Joe's as the base, instead of tomato sauce.
Then we started to diverge on toppings. On the left, the husband has put on oil cured olives and dried cranberries. On the right, I've put on slices of tomato (which I should have let drain first) and oil cured olives.
Husband then added some chunks of cooked sausage and shredded mozzarella to his pizza. I added slices of fresh mozzarella.
The pizza cooked for 20 minutes. I switch the pizzas from the top to the bottom rack (and the reverse), halfway through cooking.
I then topped my pizza with arugula.
A close up of my pizza, because it's pretty.
Sometimes we'll grill the pizza, but the oven is definitely easier.

Leftovers are good for lunch the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment