Friday, August 22, 2014

Yellow gazpacho

I make yellow gazpacho during the weeks of the extra tomato box, as we often get pints of orange cherry tomatoes as well as yellow plum tomatoes.

I think the original recipe for this yellow came from a farm newsletter. I usually don't use a recipe, but I noted the amounts I used so that I could put them here. I do recall that the original recipe called for significantly more olive oil than I end up using (1/4 cup seems like a lot of olive oil already), so my soup is likely thicker than the original recipe would be. If you would like it thinner, add a bit of water (do this at the end, so you don't accidentally thin it too much).

2 pints of orange cherry tomatoes and ~8 yellow plum tomatoes
1/4 cup of good olive oil
1 tsp turmeric
a bread end or two (stale bread is fine)
salt to taste

Makes about 4 cups

Wash the tomatoes. Put them into a blender or food processor. Cut the bread into cubes and add it to the tomatoes, along with the turmeric and olive oil. Blend until smooth.
Put the soup through a strainer.
You'll catch some seeds, larger breadcrumbs, and tomato skins. The photo below is shows what's caught in the strainer after using a Vitamix blender. With my food processor, I'd have more seeds and skins.
Here's the soup after straining.
I stored it in a mason jar to chill.
Then served it in glass to drink.
It's also good served in a bowl with some garlic croutons made from more of the stale bread you used when making the soup.

For my gluten free friends: I think the soup would be good even without the bread, but I haven't tried making it that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment