Saturday, August 30, 2014

Spanish tortilla

Continuing the potato weekend theme, I recently tried Food52's Spanish tortilla recipe. (Rather than copy it here, I'll leave it for you to click through to it.)

I started with 2 pounds of yukon gold potatoes...
...which I peeled and boiled for about 20 minutes. They then had to cool before slicing.
I sautéed an onion in olive oil. (In my opinion, the recipe uses too much oil. I'm going to reduce it next time.)
Here are the sliced potatoes going into the egg mixture...
...and after stirring...
...then poured into the cast iron pan. See the floating oil on top? Too much oil.
The recipe calls for parmesan cheese to be sprinkled on top. I think it would have been better mixed into the egg mixture. As it was, it could have been skipped, as you couldn't really taste it.
Here's the tortilla after removal from the pan...
...and after a few slices have been removed.
I ate it with some tomatoes and blue cheese. Husband had a steak as well.
The next time I make this recipe, I'd like to try sautéing some peppers (red or green) with the onions. It's not traditional, but I think it'd add some nice flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Actually, we saw tortilla espanola in the Madrid airport that had peppers in it. And another with mushrooms, I think.

    ReplyDelete