Sunday, August 31, 2014

Potato roast

Continuing the potato weekend theme: My sister-in-law visited recently and introduced me to Smitten Kitchen's crispy potato roast.

You start with four pounds of potatoes. Peel them and slice thinly. If you have a mandolin, use it; I don't, so I just cut the potato slices as thinly and as regularly as I could.

Be sure to put the oil on the bottom and sides of the casserole dish before you put the potatoes in. I didn't, and there was some sticking.
Here's the casserole after all of the potatoes have been stuffed into the casserole dish. (Seriously, I ended up jamming in a couple of the last small potatoes, unwilling to let any slices go unused.) Onions have been inserted between some of the potato slices, then salt and red pepper flakes were added. (Next time, I'd salt the dish more. We just sprinkled salt on. I wasn't paying attention to the recipe, as I had someone with me who was experienced with it.)
After an hour and fifteen minutes, thyme is added to the top of the baking dish.
Then you continue cooking until the tops are crispy, about another half hour in our case. We probably could have let the potatoes cook another 10-20 minutes to crisp more, but it was getting late. It ends up taking well over two hours from potato peeling to having the dish on the table, so be sure to start this much earlier than I did. That said, I'm not sure that I'd like the dish with more crisping. While the recipe describes the crispy pieces as being like potato chips, I found some of the crispy parts a bit more reminiscent of the dried out potato slices in a box mix of au gratin potatoes (which I definitely do not eat now, but did make as a child when eating with my parents).
Four pounds of potatoes sounds like a lot to me, but four adults made a pretty sizable dent in this dish. We had about 3 small potatoes worth of slices left, which we had as leftovers a few days later. I fried the eggs in some butter to crisp them up, then served with a couple of sous vide eggs.
Husband added some leftover brisket to his potatoes and eggs.
We ate the potatoes and eggs for dinner, not breakfast, because breakfast for dinner is a great treat for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment